Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ages 3-6

I left off around Kate's 3rd birthday.   She's made huge strides since then, but it hasn't been without a lot of blood, sweat, and tears (on both of our parts).  Her little sister showed up when she was 3 years, 3 months and she's brought immeasureable joy to all of us.  Little sis (Emily) struggled with severe reflux and eczema and has a peanut allergy...  So in the midst of speech therapists and neurodevelopmental pediatricians, we also deal with the allergist and dermatologist for Emily.

If I could say one thing about our life-- I'd say that it isn't boring!!

But back to Kate--  as she's now 1 month away from her 6th (!!) birthday, it's clear that the tongue tie caused a cascade of things to happen.  She was much more so impacted than just a "mild speech impediment"-- remember, that is what 4 pediatricians told me.

She had great difficulty nursing, she missed several speech acquisition windows-- your tongue has to be able to move to make most sounds.  In addition, we also missed the key window before age 2 when children are more willing to try different foods.  By far, she is my picky eater and I can't say that is just her personality. 

She's had to make up almost 2 years worth of speech sounds.  She's come very far.  I'd say she's just about within the range of normal now.  There are children in her Kindergarten class that don't get speech therapy, but to my somewhat educated ear, should. 

Added to the tongue tie issue was the ear infection issue.  I lost count of how many bilateral ear infections she had before *I* insisted we put the tubes in.  Why didn't my pediatrician insist on that?  What about the 3 in 3 rule?  Meaning- 3 infections in 3 months = ENT consult for tubes.  That's what should have happened.

I feel proud of how far we've brought Kate.  Every special needs Mama knows that their children make the progress they do because there is a strong Mama bear standing behind their kiddo.  Some days I forget that.  Some days I prefer to dwell in negativity.  Other days I remember that she didn't even say Mama until she was 2 1/2. 

Here's my positive message of the day: 

Success is a journey, not a destination.  The doing is usually more important than the outcome.

~Arthur Ashe, Jr.

My key take home messages:

1) Tongue ties should be clipped during (early) infancy.  This is not one of those situations where taking a wait and see approach is a good thing.

2) Remember: 3 in 3 = ENT consult.

No comments:

Post a Comment